Scheduling your social media posts couldn't be easier! Our vision is for users to have a unique voice on social media, and to be able increase engagement and reach of posts by targeting the message to the right audience on each social network. Using the tailored posts composer, you're able to customize your post for each social network that you're sharing to.
📝 This article is designed to help users with the Buffer web app. All instructions and screenshots are taken from the web app. You can find the mobile version of this article here.
This article contains the following sections:
In the video below, Katie, from our Customer Advocacy team, will walk you through the steps to schedule your posts through Buffer.
To get started, click the blue Create Post button, located on the left at the top of your queue. This will open up the composer, which is where you can craft your post.
From there, select the social channels you'd like to include by clicking on the avatars at the top of the composer.
📝 Please note, it's only possible to select one Twitter account at a time, due to Twitter's guidelines.
If this post is part of a campaign, choose the campaign you'd like to add it to at the top of the composer. Learn more about creating and managing campaigns here.
You're able to customize your post for each social network that you're sharing to. If the message is going to be similar for each one, we would recommend starting with a base for your posts, which you can type in or copy and paste.
From there, click Customize for each network. A separate box will appear for each type of social network that you've selected. For example if you're sharing to Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, you'll have three boxes available. If you're sharing to multiple social channels of the same network, e.g. multiple Facebook accounts, you'd still only have one box per social network.
You can then modify the text for each one however you'd like. When it comes to adding media to your posts, the options you'll see will vary depending on the social network you're sharing to. Please refer to the table below and find more information about each option here.
Link preview Suggested media Image upload Video upload ✓ ✓ (*10) ✓ (*10) ✓ (1) ✓ (*10) ✓ (*10) ✓ (1) ✓ (4) ✓ (4) ✓ (1) ✓ ✓ (1) ✓ (9) ✓ (1) ✓ (1) ✓ (1) ✓ (1) TikTok ✓ (1) ✓ (1) Start Page ✓ (1)
For multi-image posts, images that you attach to your post will appear in the order that you uploaded them. You can rearrange the images by clicking the X on the images. The images will then appear in the “Suggested Media” area below. You can then click on each image in the order you would like them to appear and they will be attached in that order.
- Carousel posts for Instagram and Facebook: Please note that you can upload and schedule up to 10 images for Instagram and Facebook. However, if you'd like to schedule a post to multiple social accounts at once and click the Customize for each network button, only the number of images permitted for that social channel will populate. For example, if you're scheduling both Instagram and LinkedIn posts and upload 10 images when you click Customize for each network, you will see that only nine of your images shows within your LinkedIn composer while all 10 display for your Instagram composer. This is because it is only possible to publish nine images at a time through LinkedIn.
- Carousel posts for LinkedIn: You can publish a post with up to 9 images in a single LinkedIn post, however, due to API limitations, we aren't able to publish LinkedIn Carousel posts (which are done using PDF).
- Link shortening: On the Free plan, all links will be shortened using the buff.ly link shortener. On our paid plans, you're able to decide which link shortener to use by heading to Settings. Pinterest does not allow link shortening, so be sure to use a full URL in the destination URL box.
- Facebook page and Twitter mentions: To mention a Facebook page or Twitter profile, simply type the @ symbol and start typing the first few letters of the page or profile you'd like to mention. Matching results will be returned and you can select the one you'd like to include. Learn more here.
- Twitter image descriptions: Descriptions added to images that are shared on Twitter are added as "alternative text", which is read aloud by software that users with visual impairments use to navigate the web. To add alt text to your image being shared to Twitter, click on the image to expand it and then add your image description in the text box. Learn more here about adding alt text.
- Twitter threads: Unfortunately, there isn't a way for Buffer to assist in the creation of Twitter threads.
- TikTok mentions and hashtags: Any mentions or hashtags in a caption will display as plain-text and not a clickable hyperlink. Mentions of mutual followers is only supported at this time. Additionally, captions have a maximum length of 150 characters.
- Hashtags: You're able to include hashtags in your posts for any social network (except Pinterest) and they will be hyperlinked once published.
Once your posts are ready, you'll have a few scheduling options:
- Add to Queue (default): Your posts will be added to the next available time slots from your posting schedules (this is usually the bottom of your queue).
- Share Next: Your posts will be saved at the top of your queues and be the next ones to be published. Other posts in your queues will be bumped down one time slot. This option is not available on the Free plan.
- Share Now: Your posts will be published immediately, essentially skipping the queue.
- Schedule Post: You will be able to choose a custom date and time in the future for the posts to be shared.