Using X/Twitter with Buffer
With Buffer's publishing dashboard, you can craft, schedule, collaborate, and publish posts and X/Twitter Threads that drive meaningful engagement (and growth!) for your brand. From there, you can pop over to your analytics dashboard to analyze your key X/Twitter metrics, doubling-down on what works.
In this article:
- Connecting your X/Twitter profile
- Scheduling posts, reposts, and threads
- Media specifications for X/Twitter
- Engagement on X/Twitter posts
- X/Twitter analytics
- X/Twitter error library
These features are available for X/Twitter
Connecting your X/Twitter profile
You can connect multiple X/Twitter profiles to Buffer. To see a step-by-step guide and troubleshooting steps, check out the article: Connect your channels to Buffer.
- X/Twitter’s Delegate feature is not supported at this time. To connect your X/Twitter profile to Buffer, you’ll need to be logged into X.com/Twitter.com as the owner of the X/Twitter profile.
- Connecting multiple X/Twitter accounts - Buffer will automatically try to connect to whichever account you're logged into in your browser, so we recommend logging into X.com/ Twitter.com with the account you want to connect to Buffer first and then heading to Buffer to connect the channel.
If your connected X/Twitter channel requires a refresh, check out the article Refreshing a channel in Buffer.
Scheduling posts, reposts, and threads
You have content to share, and luckily, X/Twitter has several different features to offer you. We’ll explain each of the Buffer-friendly X/Twitter features below.
|Features & good-to-knows
Check out our step-by-step guide to scheduling posts on any social channel or peruse X/Twitter-specific details below.
📝 It’s only possible to schedule to one X/Twitter account at a time due to X's/Twitter’s guidelines. Duplicate posts (repeating the same content) are not allowed by X/Twitter.
|Scheduling X/Twitter threads
Good to knows:
|It is possible to schedule reposts to Buffer directly from your X/Twitter feed, as long as you have the Buffer browser extension installed (when on a web browser) or the Buffer mobile app (when on mobile). Learn more about Scheduling reposts on web and mobile here.
|Tagging / Mentions
|To tag / mention another X/Twitter account, type in the exact handle. Once published to X/Twitter, the account you mentioned will become hyperlinked. X's/Twitter’s API no longer allows third-party tools to autocomplete handles. Learn more about Adding mentions (tags) in posts here.
|Image descriptions / Alt text
|It is possible to add alt text to images scheduled to X/Twitter by clicking on your image and typing in the alt text. Learn more about Adding alt text to your images here.
|Daily posting limit
|100 posts per 24 hours. Learn more about Daily posting limits here.
280 characters per post.
Due to API limitations, the increased character limit for X Premium/Twitter Blue subscribers only applies to posts published natively on X/Twitter. Learn more about Character limits for each social network here.
|In the composer, type the hashtags you'd like to use. When the post is published, the hashtags will hyperlink just as if they were sent from the native platform itself. Learn more about How hashtags work in Buffer.
Media specifications for X/Twitter
X/Twitter supports images, videos, and GIFs.
|Number allowed per post
Minimum of .5 seconds and up to 140 seconds
📝 Longer videos for X Premium/Twitter Blue subscribers only apply to posts published natively on X/Twitter
up to 512MB
up to 5MB
up to 15MB
8192 x 8192 pixels
1280 x 1080 pixels
Max total: 300 million px
|File types supported
MP4, MOV, AVI, M4V
📝 Audio-only mp4 files cannot be shared to X/Twitter. The mp4 file must contain video.
JPG, PNG, HEIC, WebP
|Video autoplay in the feed
|Custom thumbnail supported
|Optimal number of frames
60 FPS or less
Note for GIFs:
If you see quality loss or errors when creating posts with animated GIFs, try these recommendations to improve success:
- GIF Maximum resolution - 1280 x 1080 (width x height)
- GIF Maximum number of frames - 350
- GIF Maximum number of pixels (width * height * num_frames) - 300 million
Engagement on X/Twitter posts
Buffer's engagement features are only available for Facebook and Instagram.
We can post all day, but the real excitement comes when seeing the reactions to our posts. If you’re on the Essentials, Team, or Agency plans, you’ll find all of your stats within two places:
There are two places to look for analytics in your Buffer account:
- To get a quick view of each of your X/Twitter account's metrics, head to the Publishing tab and then the Sent tab.
- On our Free plan, you can access likes, clicks, and reposts.
- On our paid plans, you can access likes, clicks, reposts, and impressions.
- To dive straight in, learn about our X/Twitter metric descriptions, select X/Twitter on the left-hand side of your analytics dashboard, and peruse the tabs:
- Overview: gives insight into your overall engagement levels for your profile over time. Learn more about the Performance overview on your analytics dashboard.
- Posts: provides a history of all of your published posts and how they are performing. Learn more about Analyzing your posts within your analytics dashboard.
- Answers: shares answers to questions such as the best day, type, and frequency to post. Learn more about Answering questions about your social media strategy.
📝 When you first connect an X/Twitter profile, we will be able to backfill up to 28 days of data. Learn more about Why your data in Buffer might differ from your native analytics here.
X/Twitter error library
If you're [unfortunately] hitting X/Twitter errors in Buffer, our X/Twitter error library is the place to go for solutions. If you are not finding the error listed, feel free to get in touch via email@example.com and let us know -- we'll be happy to help!
📝Do you have an X/Twitter feature suggestion? We’d love for you to submit or upvote it here on our feature suggestions board.