To get started with Buffer Publish, you'll need to connect at least one social account. Here's a run down of the types of social accounts you can currently connect:
- Facebook: Pages and Groups
- Instagram: Personal Profiles and Business Profiles
- Twitter: Profiles
- LinkedIn: Profiles and Pages
- Pinterest: Boards (only on our Pro and Business Plans)
This article contains the following sections:
- Connecting your social accounts
- Advice on connecting Facebook Pages and Groups
- Advice on connecting Instagram Profiles
- Advice on connecting LinkedIn Pages (inc. Showcase Pages)
Connecting your social accounts
Click Manage Social Accounts at the bottom of the left hand sidebar.
Click Add a New Social Account.
Click on the type of social account you'd like to connect.
With most social networks, if you’re already logged into the specific social account, you'll only need to authorize Buffer to use your account. If you’re not already logged in, you'll need to enter your login details. If you are connecting an Instagram account, please hop over to this article for more guidance.
Please note, if you're already logged into a social account (e.g. a Facebook account), we will assume that you're looking to connect the account you're currently logged into. To connect a different social account, please log out of the social network completely and then walk through the connection steps again. This time, it will prompt you to enter your login credentials and you'll be able to connect the desired account.
Once you've connected a social account, we'd recommend hopping over to your Posting Schedule and setting up the times you'd like to post content. Learn more about the Posting Schedule here.
Advice on connecting Facebook Pages and Groups
In order to connect a Facebook Page or Group to your Publish account, we'll need to authenticate through your personal Facebook Profile that has the "Page Admin" or "Page Editor" role on the Page you're looking to connect, or the "Admin" role on the Group you're looking to connect. Learn more about Facebook Page roles here, and Group roles here. Whilst we authenticate your Facebook Pages and Groups through your personal Profile, we won't access your personal information or publish content on your Profile.
Facebook Pages and Groups are connected in the same way as connecting other social accounts, with the additional step of selecting the Page or Group you'd like to connect. We've found the quickest way is to first log into your Facebook Profile that has the required permissions.
- It is not possible to connect a Facebook Page if you are a "Page Admin" through inheritance from a parent page. To find out, visit your Facebook Page and click Settings at the top right, followed by Page Roles on the left hand side. If you see yourself listed under a section labelled "Admin (inherited from parent page)", then unfortunately you will not be able to authorize the connection between the Facebook Page and Buffer Publish.
When you get to the step of authorizing Buffer to access your Facebook account, it's important to accept all permissions. You'll see the option to "Choose what you allow", which is an option that is required by Facebook to be shown in this step. However, modifying any of the permissions here will mean that we are not able to properly authenticate with your Facebook Page, and posts that you schedule will fail to send.
Once you've authorized Buffer to access your Facebook account, click on the Facebook Page you'd like to connect and then click Connect These Pages to Buffer. You can connect up to 10 Pages at once.
- You will need to complete these steps on a computer, as opposed to a mobile device. The settings that need to be changed in Facebook are not available on mobile.
- You must be an Admin on the Group to connect. It is not possible to connect Groups that you are only a member of. Learn more about Group roles here.
- All posts published to a Facebook Group will appear as being posted by the Facebook member who connected the Group to Publish. Learn more about post attribution here.
After selecting the Group you'd like to connect, click Authorize Buffer on Facebook.
You'll be taken to your Group settings in Facebook, with a pop up to add the Buffer app to your Group already open. Click Add, followed by Done.
What to do if your Facebook Page or Group is not listed
If your Facebook Page or Group is not listed when walking through the steps above, it means that Publish does not have permission to connect your Page or Group. To fix this, you'll need to remove Buffer from Business Integrations in Facebook and then try connecting your Page or Group again. This can be done by following these reauthorization steps.
Advice on connecting Instagram Profiles
Connecting Instagram Profiles is a little different than connecting other types of social accounts. Please head over to this article for guidance.
Advice on connecting LinkedIn Pages (inc. Showcase Pages)
In order to connect a LinkedIn Page (including a Showcase Page) to your Buffer Publish account, we'll need to authenticate through your personal LinkedIn Profile that has administrative privileges on the Page you're looking to connect. Learn more about LinkedIn Page roles here. Whilst we authenticate your LinkedIn Pages through your personal Profile, we won't access your personal information or publish content on your Profile.
LinkedIn Pages are connected in the same way as connecting other social accounts, with the additional step of selecting the Page you'd like to connect. We've found the quickest way is to first log into your LinkedIn Profile that has the required permissions.
Once you've authorized Buffer to access your LinkedIn account, click on the LinkedIn Page you'd like to connect and then click Connect These Pages to Buffer. You can connect up to 10 Pages at once.