Using Facebook with Buffer
With Buffer, you can reach your community wherever they are online. Keep your Facebook group up to date by scheduling posts, or engage with your Facebook Page followers by scheduling posts or reels. Once your posts have been published, you can analyze their performance and engage with your post comments, all in one tool!
This article contains the following sections:
- Connecting and refreshing your Facebook accounts
- Scheduling Facebook posts and reels
- Image, video, and GIF specifications for Facebook
- Engaging with Facebook posts
- Facebook analytics
- Facebook error library
These features are available for Facebook
(Facebook Pages and groups)
Note: Facebook Reels are not supported in our analytics or engagement dashboards. However, Reels metrics are available within Sent posts insights.
Connecting and refreshing your Facebook accounts
You can connect multiple Facebook Pages and groups you manage to Buffer. To see a step-by-step guide and troubleshooting steps, checkout the following articles:
If your connected Facebook requires a refresh, check out the article Refreshing a channel in Buffer.
Having trouble connecting Facebook to Buffer? Check out our Troubleshooting Facebook and Instagram connections guide.
Scheduling Facebook posts and reels
The features available on Facebook Pages and groups vary due to API limitations, so check out the table below to find out which features you can use while scheduling posts.
|Features & good-to-knows||Notes|
|Scheduling posts||Checkout our step-by-step guide to scheduling posts on any social channel or peruse Facebook-specific details below.|
Tagging / mentions
|To tag / mention another Facebook Page, type in the exact handle. Once published to your Facebook Page, the account you mentioned will become hyperlinked. check out our full guide to adding tags (mentions) here.|
|Daily posting limit||25 posts per 24 hours. Learn more about Daily posting limits here.|
|Character limit||5,000 characters per post. Learn more about character limits for each social network here.|
|Hashtags||In the composer, type the hashtags you'd like to use. When the post is published, the hashtags will hyperlink just as if they were sent from the native platform itself. Learn more about How hashtags work in Buffer.|
Scheduling Facebook posts and reels
- To get started, select your Facebook account on the left hand side of your dashboard.
- Open the composer at the top of your queue.
- Select Post or Reel.
For posts: Type in the caption you’d like to use, add links or upload any images or video you'd like. Learn more about attaching images, videos, and other media to your posts here.
For reels: Upload the video you'd like to include in your reel and then type in or copy and paste the caption you'd like to use.
- Click Add to Queue or use one of our other scheduling options and you're done!
Scheduling Good to Knows
- When using the Buffer browser extension, we can't auto-fill the text update of the post due to Facebook rules, so you'll need to type your own caption instead. We're sorry for this limitation!
- If you're sharing a link from your website to your Facebook page, you can customize the thumbnail image only if you have set up Facebook Domain verification.
- If you're sharing the URL of a Facebook or Instagram post, we are unable to generate a link preview. Learn more about Sharing Facebook and Instagram links through Buffer.
- Due to API limitations, it is not possible to add trending music to reels. Therefore, we recommend adding music to your video file before uploading it to Buffer.
- The Facebook Reels API does not support locations, so you will not be able to add a location to your reel.
- When your reel is published, it will also appear on the feed.
Facebook group posts
- Posts published to a Facebook group will appear as being posted by the Facebook member who connected the group to Buffer. We unfortunately cannot post to Facebook groups as a Facebook Page.
- It's not possible to create a Facebook post in multiple languages through Buffer at this time. You would need to create such posts within Facebook itself and you will need to be an admin on the Page.
Image, video, and GIF specifications for Facebook
Facebook supports images, videos, and GIFs. However, scheduling reels is only available on Facebook Pages.
|Number allowed per post||1 (upload or link)||10||1|
Reels - 30 to 90 seconds
Video - 4 hours
|File size||1GB*||up to 10MB||up to 3MB|
|Dimensions / Aspect Ratio||
Video posts - 16:9 to 9:16
Reels - 9:16
|8192x8192 pixels (suggested)||TBD|
|File types supported||
Reels - MP4
Video posts - MP4, MOV, AVI, and M4V
|JPG, PNG, WebP (images will be uploaded as WebP)||GIF|
|Custom thumbnail supported||
Video posts - ✓
Reels - N/A
|Optimal number of frames||24 to 60 frames per second||N/A||N/A|
Engaging with Facebook posts
If you’re on the Essentials, Team, or Agency plan, you have access to the engagement dashboard where you can respond to comments on your Facebook Page posts.
Learn how to start engaging with Instagram and Facebook comments within your engagement dashboard.
At this time, it is not possible to pull comments made on Reels into our engagement dashboard.
We can post all day, but the real excitement comes when seeing the reactions to our posts. If you’re on the Essentials, Team, or Agency plans, you’ll find all of your stats within the analytics tab.
Facebook Reels are not supported in our analytics dashboard. However, Reels metrics are available within the Sent Posts tab.
There are two places to look for analytics in your Buffer account:
To get a quick view of each of your Facebook post's and Reel's comments, likes, clicks, reach, and shares, head to the Publishing tab and then the Sent Posts tab.
To dive straight into advanced analytics for your Facebook Page, select Facebook on the left-hand side and peruse the tabs:
- Overview: gives insight into your overall engagement levels for your profile over time. Learn more about the Performance overview on your analytics dashboard.
- Posts: provides a history of all of your published posts and how they are performing. Learn more about Analyzing your posts within your analytics dashboard.
- Answers: shares answers to questions such as the best day, type, and frequency to post. Learn more about Answering questions about your social media strategy.
Feel free to also learn more about our Facebook metric descriptions.
📝 When you first connect a Facebook Page, we will be able to backfill up to six months of data.
Learn more about Why your data in Buffer might differ from your native analytics here.
Facebook error library
If you're [unfortunately] hitting Facebook errors in Buffer, the Facebook error library is the place to go for solutions.
📝Do you have a Facebook feature suggestion? We’d love for you to submit or upvote it here on our feature suggestions board.