Instagram works a bit differently than other social networks, and not all posts can be published automatically. In Buffer Publish we have both direct scheduling (posts that can be published automatically) and reminders (posts that you’ll receive a push notification for). Scheduling your Instagram posts works the same way for both, but the type of content you’re sharing will determine whether the post can be published automatically or not. Learn more about this here. Whenever you're scheduling a post, we'll let you know if it's going to be scheduled as a reminder.
📝 This article is is designed to help users with the Buffer mobile app. All instructions and screenshots are taken from the iOS app, and any steps that are different on Android are noted. You can find the desktop version of this article here.
This article contains the following sections:
- Creating your Instagram post
- Adding first comments and using Hashtag Manager
- Adding Shop Grid links
- Scheduling your Instagram post
Creating your Instagram post
To get started, tap the round avatar icon at the top left of your screen and tap on your Instagram account (if it's not already selected).
Tap the blue + icon at the bottom middle of your screen. This will open up the composer. On Android, you'll need to tap the blue pencil icon at the bottom of your screen to open the composer.
Upload the image(s) or video you'd like to include in your post and then type in or copy and paste the caption you'd like to use.
Toggle Tag Connected Facebook Page Location on if you'd like to include the location with your post. If the toggle is on and you don't have a location associated to your page, no location will be included with your post.
⚠️ It was previously possible to include any location with your post. However, on November 2, 2020, Facebook deprecated the Places Search API, which means this is no longer possible. Now, through the API, it's only possible to include the location that is associated to the Facebook page linked to your Instagram account. Learn more about this change here.
- Images and videos must be within Instagram's accepted aspect ratio range (between 4:5 and 1.91:1 for images and between 4:5 and 16:9 for videos), in order to be published automatically. If the image or video falls outside of this range, the post will be scheduled as a reminder instead.
- Videos must be between 3 and 60 seconds. If your video is not within this range, you'll see a message letting you know. You'll need to adjust the video and then re-upload it.
- Tagging users in images is only available on desktop at the moment. Learn more about that feature here.
Adding first comments and using Hashtag Manager
If your post is set to be published automatically, you'll also have the option to include a first comment. First comments are great for hashtags or other information that you may not want to show initially within your caption.
Additionally, you'll be able to use the Hashtag Manager feature. Hashtags are a great way to make your posts more discoverable on Instagram. Hashtag Manager makes it easy to create and save groups of hashtags, so that you can build a library of options, experiment with different variations, and easily reuse your top-performing hashtag groups.
⭐️ The option to include a first comment is available on our Pro, Premium, and Business plans. The Hashtag Manager feature is available on our Premium and Business plans. Learn more about our plans and pricing here.
Tap Add to include a first comment with your post.
Type your first comment into the extra box displayed. Alternatively, tap the hashtag symbol in the bottom left corner to open Hashtag Manager.
Creating and managing groups can only be done on desktop at the moment, but you can use your groups on the mobile app.
You'll see all of your groups listed in Hashtag Manager. To add a group of hashtags to your first comment, tap the + icon to the right of the group you'd like to add. You are able to insert multiple groups, but keep an eye on the hashtag counter to make sure you don't exceed Instagram's limit of 30 per post.
Adding Shop Grid links
⭐️ Shop Grid is available on our Premium and Business plans. Learn more about our plans and pricing here.
If you're using Shop Grid, add the link you'd like to direct users to within the URL field.
Scheduling your Instagram post
Once your post is ready, you'll have a few scheduling options, described below.
- Share Now: Your post will be published immediately, essentially skipping the queue. If the post is scheduled as a reminder, the notification will come through to your phone right away.
- Share Next: Your post will be saved at the top of your queue and be the next one to be published. Other posts in your queue will be bumped down one time slot. This option is only available on our Pro, Premium, and Business Plans.
- Schedule Post: You will be able to choose a custom date and time in the future for the post to be shared.
- Add to Queue: Your post will be added to the next available time slot from your posting schedule. Depending on the type of post, it will either be published automatically at the right time, or you'll receive a reminder to your phone at that time.
If your post was scheduled as a reminder, you'll see a bell icon in the queue. At the time the post is due to be published, the reminder will be sent as a push notification to your phone. Learn more about notifications and posting here.