In certain situations, Buffer will need to be removed from Business Integrations in Facebook in order for you to re-establish the authorization between Buffer and Facebook. This may be needed if your Facebook or Instagram account becomes disconnected, if we can't find a specific Facebook page or group you're looking to connect, or if you encounter an "unknown" error or any permissions errors.
📝 Reauthorizing your Facebook or Instagram account will not remove any posts already in your queue in Buffer Publish. These steps only re-establish your connection.
Removing Buffer from Business Integrations in Facebook and reauthorizing the connection
Click on the small drop down arrow at the top right of your screen and then click Settings & privacy > Settings. From there, click Business integrations on the left hand side (or click this link).
You should see Buffer listed in the integrations area. This will need to be removed in order to continue. Tick the check box and then click Remove.
A window will pop up asking if you want to remove Buffer with a check box at the bottom. Leave both check boxes unticked and then click Remove.
Then, head back over to to Publish or Analyze and try your connection again. When you are connecting or reconnecting your Facebook or Instagram account, please be sure to accept all permissions and all pages (even pages not connected to Buffer) during the authorization process.
- Connecting or reconnecting in Publish
- If you are connecting a Facebook page for the first time, please follow the steps in this guide.
- If you are connecting an Instagram business account for the first time, please follow the steps in this guide.
- If you are reconnecting a Facebook page or Instagram business account, click Manage Social Accounts at the bottom of the left hand side bar, and then click Reconnect to the right of the account you need to reconnect.
- Connecting or reconnecting in Analyze
- If you are connecting a Facebook Page or Instagram business account for the first time, please follow the steps in this guide.
- if you are reconnecting a Facebook page or Instagram business account, click Manage Accounts at the bottom left of your dashboard and then click on Settings. Then, click the circular refresh icon to the right of the account you need to reconnect.
If I have multiple Facebook pages connected to my account, will I need to reconnect them all?
No. Removing Buffer from Business Integrations in Facebook will disconnect any Facebook pages and Instagram accounts you currently have connected to Buffer Publish. If multiple Facebook pages have become disconnected, and they were authorized through your own personal Facebook profile, reconnecting one of them should also reconnect the rest.
If I have multiple Instagram accounts connected to my account, will I need to reconnect them all?
Yes. Unfortunately, the access tokens work differently for Instagram accounts and each Instagram account will need to be reconnected individually.
I have the "Page Editor" role on the Facebook page I need to reconnect but it isn't working
In order to reconnect a Facebook page, your personal Facebook profile will need to have the "Page Admin" role. Although it's possible to connect Facebook pages if you have the "Page Editor" role, it is unfortunately not possible to reconnect them with this level of permission.