Instagram only allow third party apps to publish posts automatically on behalf of a user under specific conditions. In Buffer Publish, this is known as Direct Scheduling. One of these conditions is that images and videos must adhere to Instagram's accepted aspect ratio range.
An aspect ratio describes the ratio between the its width and its height. Aspect ratios are often represented as two numbers separated by a colon, e.g. 4:5. This can be a convenient way of displaying an aspect ratio and can be converted into a numerical value by dividing the first by the second. So, for example, an aspect ratio written as 4:5 has a value of 4/5 = 0.8.
What are Instagram's accepted aspect ratio ranges?
The table below outlines the accepted aspect ratio ranges for both images and videos.
|Aspect ratio range||Aspect ratio range as numerical values|
|Images||Between 4:5 and 1.91:1||Between 0.8 and 1.91|
|Videos||Between 4:5 and 16:9||Between 0.8 and 1.78|
Provided your image or video is within the accepted aspect ratio range, your post can be published automatically. If the aspect ratio of your image or video falls outside of the range, your post will be scheduled as a reminder instead. If you like, you can adjust the aspect ratio and then re-upload your image or video.
How are aspect ratios calculated?
To calculate the aspect ratio of an image or video, you can take the resolution and divide the width by the height. Here are some examples:
- 1200 x 1200 pixels: Aspect ratio of 1200/1200 = 1
- 1200 x 1500 pixels: Aspect ratio of 1200/1500 = 0.8
- 1200 x 629 pixels: Aspect ratio of 1200/629 = 1.907
Remember to watch out for rounding the results of your calculation digits. For example, 1200 x 628 pixels would correspond to an aspect ratio of 1.910828, therefore falling just outside of the acceptable range for an image.
What sizes do my images and videos need to be?
Your images or videos don't need to be a specific pixel size, as long as the aspect ratio is within the acceptable range. Here are some example sizes that would work nicely:
- Any size square image or video (same width and height), e.g. 600 x 600 pixels, 800 x 800 pixels, 1200 x 1200 pixels
For portrait images and videos, the aspect ratio must be between 0.8 and 0.99.
- 800 x 1000 pixels (aspect ratio 0.8)
- 1200 x 1500 pixels (aspect ratio 0.8)
- 1500 x 1800 pixels (aspect ratio 0.84)
For landscape images, the aspect ratio must be between 1.01 and 1.91, and for landscape videos, the aspect ratio must be between 1.01 and 1.78.
- 800 x 600 pixels (aspect ratio 1.33)
- 1200 x 800 pixels (aspect ratio 1.5)
- 1500 x 1200 pixels (aspect ratio 1.25)
- Your images and videos do not need to be any of the one sizes mentioned above, these are just examples. As long as they are within the accepted aspect ratio ranges, they will be published automatically.
- Instagram's maximum file size limit is 8MB. If the image you upload is larger than 8MB, we'll convert it to a smaller size (1920 pixels wide) to ensure it can be published. The minimum dimensions they accept is 150 x 150 pixels. Smaller images will be scaled up to the minimum.