This is a question we hear a lot. We know that quite a few of you are looking for this type of functionality. Unfortunately, this is not something that our tool offers, and we'd love to share some of the reasons why.
This article contains the following sections:
- How the social networks view duplicate content
- What are the exact limitations when it comes to repeating the same content?
- What is the best way to share content more than once using Buffer?
How the social networks view duplicate content
A great social media marketing strategy can absolutely include refreshing and repurposing content, but duplicating the exact same message is generally discouraged, and most social networks have a section in their guidelines or terms of service about what constitutes as spam.
For example, in February 2018, Twitter announced new guidelines to prevent people from misusing multiple Twitter accounts to artificially amplify a message. Learn more about the specifics of Twitter limitations here.
We have built our scheduling based on advice from each social network that we're partnered with, and will always strive to maintain strong relationships with each one, by adhering to their policies and building a platform that supports the overall goals of the social media ecosystem.
One of our key goals with the platform we're building, is to give users a greater voice on social media and enable them to share authentic content.
What are the exact limitations when it comes to repeating the same content?
Each post in your queue will only be published once. If you need to share a post multiple times, then you would need to create it multiple times within the queue. However, there are some limitations in terms of duplicating the same content. The exact limitations are:
- You will not be able to create the exact same post more than once within a one week period.
- With Twitter's more explicit guidelines, you will not be able to schedule a post for multiple Twitter accounts at the same time. In addition, you will not be able to use the Share Again feature for Twitter.
What is the best way to share content more than once using Buffer?
With so much content on social media now, posts can easily get missed and lost in the flow, and we understand that you need to get maximum visibility. We do not discourage reusing the actual content being shared (e.g. product links, blog posts, etc), but where we can, we do not allow the exact same message to be shared.
- One option is to create separate posts in your queue, but make sure they are well spaced out and ideally using different text and/or media.
- Another option is to use the Share Again feature within the Posts report to re-share a specific post after it's been published. We strongly encourage you to modify the post itself (text, image, video, etc.) before adding it back to your queue.