With a 6.92% average engagement rate and a daily 52-minute user average, TikTok is an incredibly powerful platform. Prescheduling your TikTok posts via Buffer will help you publish posts to this popular platform at a consistent rate (did we mention that TikTok has over 1 billion active users?!).
OK, shall we get started?
This article contains the following sections:
- Connecting and refreshing your TikTok
- Converting your TikTok account to a Business account
- Scheduling TikTok posts
- Video specifications for TikTok
- Engaging with TikTok posts
- TikTok analytics
- TikTok error library
These features are available for TikTok
Connecting and refreshing your TikTok
You can connect multiple TikTok Business accounts to Buffer. To see a step-by-step guide and troubleshooting steps, check out the article: Connect your channels to Buffer.
If your TikTok account is not yet a Business account, you will need to convert it to a Business account before connecting. See below.
If your connected TikTok account requires a refresh, check out the article Refreshing a channel in Buffer.
Converting your TikTok account to a Business account
Buffer supports TikTok Business accounts. Below are the steps to get you the right TikTok account set up so that you can connect your account to Buffer.
- Open your TikTok mobile app and login to the TikTok account you'd like to connect to Buffer. *Conversion to a business account can't be completed via the TikTok web app just yet.
- Tap Profile.
- Tap the menu (three lines or dots) at the top of the screen, then Settings and Privacy.
- Tap Account.
- Tap Switch to Business Account.
- Tap Next.
- Choose your business category and save.
Scheduling TikTok posts
|Features & good-to-knows||Notes|
|Scheduling posts (web)||
Check out our step-by-step guide to scheduling posts on any social channel or peruse TikTok-specific details below.
Scheduling posts (mobile)
Need help scheduling posts to TikTok on the Buffer mobile app? Check out our guide to scheduling posts on the Buffer mobile app.
|Tagging / mentions||To tag / mention another TikTok account, type in the exact handle. Once published to TikTok, the account you mentioned will become hyperlinked. Learn more about adding mentions (tags) in posts here.|
|Hashtags||While your hashtags won't hyperlink in the composer, they'll hyperlink once published to TikTok. Learn more about how hashtags work in Buffer here.|
|Daily posting limit||25 posts per 24 hours. Learn more about Daily posting limits here.|
2200 characters per post. Learn more about character limits for each social network here.
Video specifications for TikTok
TikTok supports videos only, and TikTok posts cannot be created without a video attached.
|Number allowed per post||
|Video length||Between 3 seconds and 10 minutes|
|File size||1GB or less, and must have a minimum height and width each of 360px|
|Dimensions / Aspect ratio||Minimum height and width of 360 pixels|
|File types supported||MOV, MP4, or WEBM|
|Custom thumbnail supported||While you are able to select a thumbnail for your video within the Buffer composer, TikTok won’t acknowledge that selection.|
|Optimal number of frames||Between 23 FPS and 60 FPS|
|Autoplay in the feed||Yes|
|Giphy and Canva integration||No|
|Alt text||It is not possible to add alt text to TikTok videos via Buffer.
Learn more about adding alt text to your images here.
- Currently, there isn’t a way to use TikTok audio, text, or effects with Buffer. Instead, feel free to create your post in TikTok, save it as a draft, and then upload it to Buffer. Here are the steps: How to Save TikTok Drafts to Your Phone
- The "Promote" feature in TikTok does not work on posts sent through Buffer. To promote your posts, you would need to publish the post natively through TikTok.
Engaging with TikTok posts
At the moment, we don't offer TikTok analytics but basic analytics are coming soon to the Sent Post tab in the Publishing area of Buffer. Keep an eye out for updates on our public roadmap.
TikTok error library
We don't currently have an error library for TikTok, but feel free to reach out to our Customer Advocates if you're hitting any errors.
📝Do you have a TikTok feature suggestion? We’d love for you to submit or upvote it here on our feature suggestions board.