Connecting your Facebook Page to Buffer
📝 If you see that your social channel is marked as "Unavailable" (like this), checkout our article: Why channels are appearing as "Unavailable" when attempting to connect them to Buffer
In order to connect a Facebook Page to your Buffer account, we'll need to authenticate through your personal Facebook profile that has the admin role on the Page you're looking to connect. Learn more about Facebook Page roles, including how Facebook Business Suite works, here.
When connecting your Page to Buffer, it's vital that you accept all permissions for all pages in the process (even the ones that aren't going to be connected to Buffer). If we are missing permissions, it can prevent us from finding the accounts you manage so we'll be unable to connect them to Buffer.
📝 Although we authenticate your Facebook Page through your personal profile, we won't access your personal information or publish content on your profile.
This article contains the following sections:
Connecting your Facebook Page
- We recommend first logging into your Facebook profile that has the required permissions.
⚠️ You must log into your Facebook profile that has the admin role on the Page you're looking to connect. Whilst Facebook removed the ability to log in as your Page some time ago, it appears that some long-standing Facebook users are still able to do that. If you log into Facebook as your Page, this connection process will not work.
- In Buffer, click on your profile avatar at the top right of your dashboard and then click Account from the drop down menu.
- Click the Channels option from the menu on the left hand side of your screen.
- Click Connect next to Facebook (If you already have channels connected, click Connect New Channel and then click Connect next to Facebook).
- Click Facebook Page then click Start Connecting.
- If you are not already logged into Facebook, you will see a login window.
- Click Continue as [Name].
- Click OK.
- On the next screen, you'll see the option to Choose what you allow. It's important to not change any of the permissions here. If you remove permissions for any Pages, it can prevent Buffer from finding the Pages you manage and we won't be able to connect your Page to Buffer. (You won't see these steps if you already have another Facebook or Instagram account connected to Buffer that was authorized through the same personal Facebook profile.)
- Click OK to continue.
- On the "What channels would you like to add?" screen, select the Page you'd like to connect and then click Add to Buffer and you're done!
❓ Can our Customer Advocacy team answer any questions for you? Feel free to reach out via firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to do if your Facebook Page is not listed
First, check that your personal Facebook profile has the admin role for that Page. Or, if your Page is part of a Facebook Business Suite account, you'll want to ensure that your permissions under that account are fully setup. Learn how to check your Facebook admin settings here.
It's also important to note that it is not possible to connect a Facebook Page if your profile is an admin through inheritance from a parent Page. To find out, visit your Facebook Page, and find the Page Roles section within settings. If you see yourself listed under a section labeled "Admin (inherited from parent Page)", then unfortunately you will not be able to authorize the connection between the Facebook Page and Buffer.
If you have the correct Page role and it's still not listed, it means that Buffer does not have the required permissions from Facebook. To resolve this, please continue by reauthorizing the connection between Facebook and Buffer and then try connecting your Page again.
⚠️ If you're using the New Pages Experience on Facebook, you will not be able to add location pages (such as subpages based on different locations) to Buffer as it is not currently supported via Facebook's new API.